Monday, May 30, 2005

The Trip Home

On the shores of Lake Irene just outside Miltona, Minnesota there is something of a tradition for the part of Minnesota that my Dad grew-up in. Chet’s Lakeside Inn has been there since before I can remember. Dad says that it used to be a popular spot for after prom parties (his prom?) and for taking your girl on a date.

Well, last night, after visiting the family homestead and pointing out all the noteworthy spots in Parkers Prairie, we stopped at Chet’s for dinner. Chet has long since passed away, but it is still a family run establishment. Granted, the breading on the chicken can be a bit oily at times, but it is always a fun time and a good meal!


Chet's Lakeside Inn

This morning about 06:00 Central Time I finished loading the car and made coffee for Dad and Flo and me. Kathi and I said so long to my parents soon thereafter and headed southwest. The book today in the player is Tourist Season by Carl Hiaasen. It is really quite engaging. It is about a group of terrorists that want to return Miami to its natural state by kidnapping and killing tourists in the hopes that the whole of the South Florida economy will fail and everyone will move out.

The driving today was good. There was about an hour-and-a-half of fog at the outset and then again about an hour of fog at the end. There was some rain in the middle but not enough to make us stop. We made it into Denver around 20:30 and I was home just about 22:00. It was, all-in-all, a very pleasant trip. But now Saga wants me to wrap this up and get to bed so I guess I will post this when I get back to the office and upload the pictures.

I hope your holiday weekend was great, wherever you are!

Don Bergquist – 30, May, 2005 – Lakewood, Colorado

No comments: