Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Gregariousness

gre·gar·i·ous (gri-gâr-e-us) adj.

1) Seeking and enjoying the company of others; sociable. Synonym: Social.


2) Tending to move in or form a group with others of the same kind: gregarious bird species.

3) Botany. Growing in groups that are close together but not densely clustered or matted.

I received an email after I posted the last journal entry pointing out that I seem to always be visiting people, being invited out to their place for dinner, or inviting them to mine. I guess that is true, but it is really nothing new.

One of the few stories that my Dad tells that is more truth than exaggeration is the story of how I used to make friends when I was a kid. I have never been an introvert. As Dad tells it, I was always gregarious. That’s me a regular social butterfly. In a nutshell, Dad tells the story of one of my many early excursions this way.


A Toast to Friends!

1968, Blue Ridge Mountains

The Bergquist family awakes to find one of its members missing. In a fit of panic the eldest Bergquists, Denis and Jeanne, leaving the remaining children in the camper with strict orders not to move or for any reason leave the camper, set off in opposite directions around the campground circle. They stop at each camp site asking if anyone has seen their number two son, Donald. A six-year-old towhead who apparently wandered off from his own campsite in the early morning hours and now could be anywhere.

At each site they stop at, they get the same story: “Oh, yes! We’ve seen him, he was here earlier. We had him over for breakfast.”

They return to their site some time later to find me sitting at the picnic table waiting for them to get home and put breakfast on the table.

That is, at least the way that my Dad tells the story. He has never actually seen the problem with the way that he tells the story. He tells it in a way that leads the listener to believe that this was a fairly regular occurrence. If this was such a regular occurrence, why would they be freaked. And why would they not know I would be back?

Well, I guess the point of my story is that I have always been a social animal and will likely remain so for some time to come.

I hope that you have a great day, where ever you are and whoever you are with!

Don Bergquist – 03-May-2005 – Thames Ditton

No comments: