Thursday, April 12, 2012

Travelogue: Australia – Weekend Side Trip: Sydney 4) What Happened!?


This does not bode well! What happened to the lovely spring – uh, sorry – FALL day that we had yesterday? Whereas it had been lovely and temperate yesterday, this morning it is dark, gloomy, and overcast!

Other than the amazing sunrise building to the east, there is no color in the sky. Well, that’s not exactly right. Grayish-Navy is a color! What happened to the lovely day?

According to the butt-ugly-early newscast I found on the hotel TV (at 04:30 as I was getting ready for today’s adventure) a strong cold front is moving north across New South Wales and is likely to bring rain by the afternoon.

I am sitting in the ferry terminal at Circular Quay waiting for it to open. Luckily, there is a lovely little restaurant overlooking the quay that serves coffee 24-hours. I had thought that the terminal would be open by now, but being that it IS Easter, they are apparently running late this morning. The first ferry leaves just after six… It has just gone 06:00 – I’ll just sip the coffee, enjoy the overcast, and take a look again at the map.

The plan for the day is to head out to Manly on the first Manly Ferry of the morning, (the Manly Fairy – sounds like a children’s book – or not, come to think of it!) and then walk out to the Sydney Harbour State Park. According to the map that is about 3.5 Kilometers (2.25 miles) each way.

At least it is a nice morning for walking! I hope that the skies clear a little so as to not make the trip a total wash! I like a little cloud to give the sky some interest in landscape and architecture pictures, and I like the diffuse light of an overcast day for portraiture. But a heavy, brooding overcast is not good for much other than heavy and brooding landscapes. Though I always think a good seascape can be brooding and beautiful! Whatever it is like today, I am sure that it will be a great adventure! 



Wherever you are this morning I hope that you have had an adventure this weekend!

Don Bergquist – 12 April 2012 – Canberra, ACT, Australia

No comments: