Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Travelogue: Australia – Weekend Side Trip: Uluru – Part 2, Arrival

The anticipation mounts as I make my way through the terminal – but as it is only a couple dozen steps to wend my way through the crowd jostling each other at the luggage carousel, it doesn’t build much!

The courtesy busses are parked at the curb and the driver offers water and takes my bags. Water is a great idea! It is HOT here, but then, that is only right, this part of the outback is a desert, after all!


I’m staying at a resort called “Sails In The Desert” and, boarding the appropriate bus, I wait for my flight mates to make their way to the bus before we set-off across the scrub land to the hotel.

The hotel itself is lovely. There is some construction going on, but once I have checked in, I make my way across the courtyard, past the pool past the wildlife to my room. It is a lovely terraced room with bougainvillea cascading over the railing from the patio above and over the railing from my room to the balcony below.
I unpack quickly, I am only here for 24-hours so there is little in my case. Then I check the itinerary and see that I have time to grab a dip in the pool and check-out the shops before it is time to get ready for the dinner tonight.

I did make my way over to the activities desk to see if I had any chance of getting a helicopter ride. I didn’t so a swim it was. And then, because it is going to be a long night and an early morning, I took a nap.

There are two ways to look at this – either I am being a responsible adult – or I am reverting to native animal instincts and sleeping through the heat of the day. When I awake, it is time to dress for the dinner. The day has been mostly travel and unwinding – it is time for the fun to begin!

…but that will be a story for tomorrow!

Wherever you are this morning I hope that you have had an adventure this weekend!

Don Bergquist – 03 April 2012 – Canberra, ACT, Australia






No comments: