Sunday, April 01, 2012

Travelogue: Australia – The Pictures I WISH I Had Gotten


As I am probably having too much fun to post today, I am breaking with my tradition of posting some joke for April Fool’s Day and going to tell you about he photo ops that were missed on this trip this far:

Does that stand for ‘Ralph Lauren?’” – On the streets of Sydney, there was a bit of a bohemian guy who was walking around with piercings and pink hair. But the thing that caught my attention was his feet. They were bare on one was tattooed the capital letter “L” on joint between the big toe and the one next to it. On the other foot, was the letter “R.” I was telling a colleague about it and how I wanted to take a picture but thought it would be rude. “Perhaps it stood for ‘Ralph Lauren’ was the answer, but no – they had been the other way around.

Don’t You Have Food At Home?” – At the risk of sounding both cliché and racist, there was a group of oriental tourists in Sydney on my walk about the town on Sunday who were each armed with a camera or two taking pictures of the oddest thing. The one that I really wish I had taken a picture of was the group standing outside the Indian restaurant taking pictures of the menu on the door. I stepped up to inspect the menu a bit later and saw nothing photo-worthy.

Little Charmer!” – It is generally accepted to be a bad idea to take pictures of random people on the street. But this little guy was such a charmer. He was walking ahead of his mom and dad and had a whole gaggle of girls flirting with him. He could not have been more than five-or-six and he was loving every minute of it!

C’mon, Dad, Let’s Go!” – Then there was the dog that had been left outside the door to the subway here at Dickson. I tell you, had this been Saga, she would have either come right in to see what I was getting or ran off with the first person to offer her love, food, or both. This little guy sat there like the RCA Victor dog waiting for his owner to return and finish their walk. He sat attentively, his paw on the leash abandoned on the sidewalk staring intensely at someone inside the restaurant through the open door. Good boy!

Wherever you are this morning I hope that you are having a picture-perfect weekend!

Don Bergquist – 01 April 2012 – Canberra, ACT, Australia

No comments: