Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Travelogue: Australia – Weekend Side Trip: Sydney 3) A Lovely Afternoon

I just don’t know how the afternoon could have been any more lovely! The sun shone down, the skies were lightly scattered with clouds. The park was crowded with the Easter Weekend holidaymakers. It was all to gorgeous for words!

After walking around in the gardens for a while, I decided to make my way down to the opera house. The roofline always intrigued me. It makes me thing of either seashells or sails – though it could easily be both. One thing that is not apparent from most of the pictures you see is that they are not a solid mass of white!

They are made-up of all these tiles that create this amazing almost art deco fish scale pattern. It is really an amazing building. They really must be experienced to be appreciated.

One of the whimsical surprises that I came across was this playful little satyr tucked-away into an alcove near the entry to the opera house. Having acted in my fair share of Shakespeare, I could not help but thing “It’s Puck!” though, of course, A Mid-Summer Night’s Dream is a play and not an opera, but, still!

I was drawn by the impish grin that is at the same time both innocent and evil – ‘impish’ would be the word I would use, but as there is no other word to describe something actually found on an imp, I guess that isn’t very helpful. That would be like my describing a Honda to you as being somewhat automobile-like

One of the delightful surprises of the afternoon was coming across this family outing. It was so cute! I was walking along the sea wall that runs along the bay between The Queen’s Chair and the opera house. It was a really pleasant surprise.

I must have been right that it was a cute sight. Moments after I found them swimming along, about half a dozen little girls (that I assume were Japanese from the hello kitty backpacks) were squealing and pointing their cameras over the wall.

Yes, I guess everyone thought it was a lovely day for an outing!

Wherever you are this morning I hope that you have had an adventure this weekend!

Don Bergquist – 11 April 2012 – Canberra, ACT, Australia

No comments: