Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Travelogue: Australia – Around The World

As I am flying home tomorrow, it occurred to me that I can now say that I have been completely around the world. Sure, it took me eight months to do it, and I wasn’t doing it on a wager for £20,000 but…


With the trip out here to Canberra a couple months ago I had actually completed a circumnavigation of the globe that started at the Canberra airport when I headed home from my last trip. Technically, I could count it as two round the world trips (one in each direction) since I flew here headed east last time and flying west this time, but it was only the return of the last trip and the outbound flight of this trip that was one continuous motion in the same direction.

The great circle tour for me is Canberra to Sydney, Sydney to London (by way of Bangkok), London to Denver… then on this trip, Denver to San Francisco, San Francisco to Sydney, Sydney to Canberra... And BINGO! I have been around the world – Woo Hoo! Yippee!

Yeah, I’m not that excited either – But then…

Hey, I can now say that I have been around the world; how many people can say that?

Wherever you are this morning I hope that you have something to crow about!

Don Bergquist – 24 April 2012 – Canberra, ACT, Australia


Maps generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright © Karl L. Swartz.

No comments: