Friday, April 06, 2012

Travelogue: Australia – Weekend Side Trip: Uluru – Part 5, Uluru Valentine/Departure

It has been a whirlwind but I have done so much in the past 24-hours. It is hard to believe that I really arrived here yesterday on the jet that is now landing at outside! I have done and seen so much and am leaving with such a different idea of what this place is and what it means!

It has been a whirlwind but I have done so much in the past 24-hours. It is hard to believe that I really arrived here yesterday on the jet that is now landing at outside! I have done and seen so much and am leaving with such a different idea of what this place is and what it means!

As a traveler I can tell you that each place is unique. Some places you go are best forgotten immediately, while some don’t leave any impression at all. Then there are places that you go that grow on you as you experience them, and others you know immediately will remain with you always.

Uluru is one of the places that falls into this last category. It is unlikely that I will ever forget my experiences here. This place is powerful! I know that I will some day return. It is that kind of place. I don’t know what it is about it that gives me this feeling. There is no single thing that I can put my finger on. It is everything in combination. I have known this place for only twenty four hours now, but I truly love it! The valentine in the rock is really a fitting tribute.

The spirits of this place love mankind, it would be unspeakably rude of me not to return the compliment! (What? Too mushy? Come here for yourself – I dare you not to feel it!)


But now my trip is truly It is just after noon Sunday and I am sitting in the Ayers Rock Airport (AYQ) looking at the heat waves rising off the tarmac as the two flights that have arrived this morning taxi up to the gate.


Ahead of me I have a 3.5 hour flight to Sydney, a half-hour connection, and a 30-minute flight to Canberra. (Yeah! – I’m REALLY looking forward to that!)

And then it is back to work tomorrow. But at least this weekend has been an adventure!

Wherever you are this morning I hope that you have had an adventure this weekend!

Don Bergquist – 06 April 2012 – Canberra, ACT, Australia

No comments: