Monday, April 23, 2012

Travelogue: Australia – Autumn

Intellectually I am okay with it being fall here, I can even sort-of visualize the reason for it, being that I am on the other side of the world and the polar tilt that makes it springtime back home, has to work in reverse down here. But it is just odd to reconcile the fact that I am walking around here in Canberra looking at the lovely fall colors coming out while I just this morning talked to my parents back in Minnesota about the appearance of their crocuses and daffodils.

It is, of course, a lovely sight! The reds and golds of autumn down here are just as lovely and as vibrant as they are back home, it just seems that it was way to recently that I was cruising the mountain passes in Colorado looking at the aspens and the oaks turning the mountainsides ablaze with their respective colors.

Where I am, the end of April/beginning of May is the time to get the final summer barbecues in before the weather gets too cold, wet, and miserable. While back home everyone is chomping at the bit waiting for Mother’s Day so that we can get our plants into the ground! It is an upside down calendar at the bottom of the world!

Wherever you are this morning I hope that you are having a lovely season – whatever it happens to be there!

Don Bergquist – 23 April 2012 – Canberra, ACT, Australia

No comments: