Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Daddy's Little Helper

It is so nice to have someone around the help-out about the house. If I had to take care of this place all by myself, I don't know what I would do!

As it is, however, I have LOTS of help around the house. The kitchen floor stays "clean" because no matter how careful I am while cooking, I am bound do drop something. Luckily, Saga is always there to help-out by darting in to make sure that whatever fell doesn't stay on the floor long. If it is something nice and tasty (like a bit of cheese, or a hot dog) it's taken care of with expedience. If it is something yucky (like a piece of a pepper) she nudges it out of the way (and under the toe-kick) for me. If what dropped is borderline edible but fun shaped (like a cherry tomato) she'll carry it out of the kitchen and play with it a while before deciding if it is food or not.

I have lots of help in the bedroom as well. In the morning when it is time to make-up the bed and head to work, he is always there to "help" daddy. Her job (apparently) is to make sure the sheets and the duvet do not slide off the bed and onto the floor. She does this by laying on top of them. I can shoo her off the bed while I start again, but it is, after-all her job to "help" so the moment I walk around to the other side and again try to straighten the sheets and covers, she is right back in there… making sure everything is progressing as it should. The end result of all this "help" is that it takes me far longer than it should to make the bed in the morning but Saga seems to enjoy all the attention she gets.

"Saga, get off the bed so daddy can make it up. That's a good girl."

"Saga, your daddy meant for you to stay off the bed until it was made."

"Saga! Off the bed!"

But she also does an admirable job of informing me when anything is going on that I should know about; visitors arriving, people walking their dogs by, stray branches brushing against the house… she's right there to tell me all about it!

And I wouldn't have it any other way!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you have tons of help at home!

Don Bergquist – July 02, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: