Saturday, July 05, 2008

Same Party – Different Crew

In years past it would have been unthinkable to have children present at the pirate party. This could be that there were so few of us in the group who had children. (Heck! Some of us were little more than children ourselves! We certainly acted like we were…)



Now that most of us have children, The Pirate Party has taken on a whole new flavor! Whereas the party game of choice before would have been Quarters or Secret Signs (for the uninitiated, those are drinking games) the party games this year were Grab Bag (reach into the shark's mouth for bootie!) and Swordplay.


Perhaps it wasn't as pronounced a change to anyone else as it was for me, but then, I haven't been to one in years. For one thing, my friend, Chris and his family had moved back to New Orleans for a couple years. For another, I had been living in London for the past three Independence Days! So the last time I was at a Pirate Party, there were a couple babies, but that was it… it was still, pretty much, the party I remember.



This year it may not have been as raucous, but it was just as fun. Watching the kids invent games was cool, and some of the people at the party were people I hadn’t seen in years. It was a great afternoon!



Wherever you are today, I hope the change in your life is positive!



Don Bergquist – July 05, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: