Saturday, September 01, 2007

Early Riser

I often get incredulous responses when I tell my friends here in the UK that I get up for work before five every morning and am often up on the weekends at what they consider "indecently early" hours.

"Why don't you sleep in?" I am often asked.

But, you see, I do! When you're used to getting up at 04:30 - 05:00 every morning, not getting up until 07:00 is sleeping in. Sure, I sometimes sleep in until later, 09:00 or 10:00, but usually it is some time around 07:00 that I arise on weekends.

It's always been this way, though! I remember when I was a kid my parents used to beg, cajole, plead, and threaten. Anything to try and get me to stay abed until a "decent" hour on weekends…

But when I was a kid, there was the thrill of Saturday morning cartoons. There was the exquisite naughtiness of getting outside and playing when the dew was still on the grass. There was the opportunity to have the house to myself!

I still get that thrill when I am awake early. It is wonderful getting out and riding my bike in the early morning when the streets are empty. (It's far safer too! These wankers who drive here in my neighborhood don't seem to get the whole "Share the Road" concept.)

So here it is, just after 10:00 and I've already been for a nice bike ride, and now I am enjoying my coffee and planning my day. I guess I should get the garden work done before the predicted rains. (Though it looks like the weather reports were wrong. It looks like it will be a lovely day!)

Wherever you are today, I hope you're having a lovely day!

Don Bergquist – 01 September 2007 – Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: