Thursday, August 23, 2007

Stonehenge

I am so thoroughly knackered!

Yesterday we drove all day. We started out pretty early (not as early as I would have planned, but not late by any means) and headed west on the M-3 motorway to our first port of call: Stonehenge.


The drive was pleasant enough, the rains fell intermittently, and the cloud cover continued to press down on the countryside. I used the wipers almost all the way to the Salisbury plain and it looked as if we would be walking around the stone circle in the rain.

As we pulled into the car park, the rains stopped, the winds kicked-in, and the day became, a bit breezier, a bit cooler, but far more pleasant! We had a great time touring the stones and listening to the cheesy commentary on who made it and why.

I've now been to Stonehenge five or six times, I love visiting there. I enjoy looking at the stones and wondering what the purpose of it all is. I've heard all the theories and (quite frankly) the little commentary that they give you on the audio devices adds little to the knowledge I already have.

In a move calculated to parody the yahoos that you see all the time over here, the ugly tourists who think the world is their personal Disneyland, Fritz wanted to be photographed in front of one of the world's wonders drinking one of the worst American beers.

Because we made so many ports of call yesterday (and because I have to get to the office) I have broken-up yesterday's road-trip into a series of reports. More on Wednesday's trip tomorrow!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you're having a great day!

Don Bergquist - 23 August 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: