Monday, August 27, 2007

Pub Crawling

As if we hadn't had enough pub crawling, we decided to hit a few pubs to finish out the week in style. So, Friday after work, we headed out to hit a few pubs in my neighborhood.

I had planned on hitting the crawl and seeing the inside of seven-or-eight pubs stopping mid-crawl at the villa for a dinner of curry. As these things often go, we didn’t start the crawl until almost 21:00 and we only had time to hit three pubs before they closed.

So Saturday we headed out early (before noon) and headed into town to hit a number of the pubs they had on their list that we had yet to hit. This included one that advertises itself as the oldest pub in London. (That’s a doubtful claim, but what the heck! Who am I to judge?)

It was a fun day, we hit four-or-five pubs and headed back for dinner (leftover curry) at the villa around nine. The highlights of the day were of course, the time spent with friends, and the buskers around the Covent Garden tube stop. This living statue (for a small contribution) offers to symbolically decapitate his patrons. (I got a huge laugh from the crowd when, as he was mimicking the beheading of one little kid, I yelled-out "How much to really do it?")

Fritz and Janine hit the clubs after dinner, taking the train back into Central London. Call me a fuddy-duddy, but I decided to spend the night sleeping instead. Around 06:00 I got a text that they were stuck at Clapham Junction waiting for the first train of the morning. They're learned the pleasures of having no late-night/early-morning transportation. Sure the clubs in Central London stay open until early morning, too bad the trains stop well before the clubs do!

I got a call about half an hour later, they were on the first train to Surbiton. Off I went to go and get them. (Too bad they snoozed through the station and I had to go and get them at the end of the line in Hampton Court.)

They went up to snooze for a few hours before we headed over to Terry and Angie's for a barbecue. It was a lovely day that I spent relaxing and playing with the dog.

Wherever you are today, I hope that you have a great day.

Don Bergquist - 27 August 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: