Friday, August 03, 2007

Friday Musing

Writing my response to my aunt's correction on yesterday's article made me think of two things. My first thought was: "Heck! Someone is actually reading these posts! I may be held accountable for mistakes." But then I realized that with the disclaimer (q.v.) I've pretty much covered myself. I needn't worry too much any "mistakes" I make can be attributed to "artistic choice."

I suppose I could use a fact checker or something, but then I think to myself, why should I do something that Fox News doesn't bother to do. The only difference (besides the billions of dollars they make pedaling their tripe, eh, news) is that I make no pretense at being a source of wholly factual information. (I retort, you deride!)

The other thing it got me thinking of was Mom. I was mentioning how mom used to point at the capital dome in St. Paul and tell us that it was where my sister had been baptized. Every time we were passing through St. Paul, she made the same mistake. It was like clockwork!

She could also turn a colorful phrase. And it wasn't just the normal challenges that every parent eventually hurls at their child: "If you fall out of that tree and break your leg, don't come running to tell me about it!"

No, mom used to come out with some spectacularly colorful phrases. "You kids make me so mad I could stand on my head and spit-out candy bars!" I'm not sure that mom realized that for us kids, this wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing.

Follow-up: I've heard back from most of my relatives in the twin cities. Everyone is accounted for.

Wherever you are, I hope you are having a good day and that you'll have an excellent weekend!

Don Bergquist - 03 August 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: