Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Observations on Johannesburg

Now that I am a bit more awake, I want to give you an update on the trip thus far.

Gauteng (the state that Johannesburg) is in is only two time zones east of London. So getting used to the time is no big deal! But the city is worlds away.

Actually, it reminds me a lot of Southern California. The landscape is a rolling, hilly one. The buildings are all of the new, low-slung variety that are so common to strip malls and office parks so common in West Hollywood. Also like that area of the world, practically everything is gated. Unlike Hollywood every gate or wall here is topped with spikes, barbed wire, concertina wire, electric fences or a combination thereof.

I asked if the crime in the area was really that bad, and was told that was the reason they had the fences was so that it didn't get that bad. That's twisted logic, if you ask me, but hey! What're ya gonna do?

I've been warned not to venture out of the hotel compound too far at night, so basically, I've been to the mall across the parking lot and the restaurants therein bit nothing further. I have a colleague coming over from the states today so there will be two of us here to work with the client station. Perhaps this weekend we'll find some time to explore!

I hope that wherever you are today, you're having a safe day!

Don Bergquist - 28 February 2007 - Randberg, South Africa

No comments: