Saturday, February 17, 2007

What Brings London To It's Knees

It's a good thing that Hitler never developed weather control. The blitz would have been unnecessary had he done so!

Last Thursday (the 11th) the city came to a complete stand-still. The post office didn't open when it should have because the postmaster could not make it in from New Malden (only four train stops down the line). I sat at the office alone until nearly ten. The problem? About an inch of snow fell!

I have always thought that London got snow regularly. (You see it all the time in any of those period pieces… or in A Christmas Carol.) But no! The occurrence of snow here is so rare that they really do not know what to do when it falls! They acted as if the other morning's snowfall was rare.

Aside from a few half-melted snowmen in the Giggs-Hill Park, there was nothing to show we had had a snowfall. The city had returned to normal. I suppose that the fact snow here is so rare is something that should have occurred to me, there are all those tropical plants apparently thriving in Bushy Park.

This is being written the same day that I understand from friends back home that we got another eight-inch snowfall in Lakewood. They are handling it in stride. Ah well, Today (Saturday the 17th) I am off in Amsterdam. The weather is supposed to be lovely! I guess you'll know when I return if it was!

I hope wherever you are today, your weather is lovely!

Don Bergquist - 17 February 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey UK (in absentia)

No comments: