Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Surprise!

Greetings from South Africa! Good god am I knackered!

I have never been one who sleeps well on planes. This plane ride was no exception.

Yes, Saga was right! I had a very busy day yesterday. Sunday evening I got a call from the states. My boss wanted to know if I could get to South Africa that day. The answer was, of course no… but I could try my best to be there on Monday.

I said that I had arrangements to make to assure Saga was cared for but that once that was done, I could fly out on Monday and arrive on Tuesday morning. So Monday morning I made travel arrangements, did the training I needed and got myself packed. At sunset last night I was sitting in a Virgin Atlantic flight bound for Johannesburg.

This morning, after an interminably long flight, I looked out the window to see the sun rise over Africa. The flight was soon to be over. We landed at the airport and I cleared customs soon enough.

Landing at the airport at rush hour was a bad idea… I wonder whose it was! It took well over an hour to get to the hotel in Randberg. I had a long day with the client and then came home and had dinner at an ethnic African restaurant.

It has been a long day and at the time of this writing, I have been up for over 36 hours. It is time to sleep.

I hope that wherever you are today, you've done something surprising!

Don Bergquist - 27 February 2007 - Randberg, South Africa

No comments: