Saturday, November 11, 2006

Memorial Day in London

My boss and I went into Central London today.

I had a couple errands I wanted to run in London before I headed home for this trip. The problem is that I sort-of forgot that today was Armistice Day. There were big doings in town today that the had the affect of making the traffic, never good in the first place, horrid!

Of course, being on foot, it was only the fact that the streets being closed meant that the sidewalks (or as they call it - the pavement) were also closed. There were massive celebrations in town today. New Zealand has built a war memorial in Hyde Park which was being commemorated. How interesting and different they treat Memorial Day here... they seem to see it as more than an excuse for furniture sales. Hmmm...

Martin and I walked around Green Park, Hyde Park and St. James Park; finally making our way up Westminster Street to the rail station to make our train back out to Thames Ditton. It was a nice walk and a nice afternoon. The skies threatened, but never delivered rain.

On our way through St. James Park, I noticed the London Eye. It's RED! I've always seen it lit-up blue... I had to take a few pictures. Which was not easy since I had brought only my small FujiFilm camera... I had no tripod so a number of the pictures I took are a bit shaky.

Tonight I have been invited over to my friend, Kevin's house for spaghetti with the gang. Later, I'm sure we'll be headed to the pub. Ah! No rest of the wicked. I guess I had best get ready to ride over to Molesey. It looks like it will rain... but then that isn't news.

I hope wherever you are today, you've had a great day!

Don Bergquist - 11 November 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: