Sunday, November 26, 2006

Idiots, Alligator Alley and Tackiness

This afternoon Mary, Saga and I drove back to her house in Weston. The trip was fairly uneventful, the traffic was heavy and one idiot kept passing us, getting in the slower lane and dropping back. Eventually, he'd try and get back in front of us only to get back in the slow lane and drop back again. We had no idea what this was all about.

But the prize for the stupidest, bonehead move of the afternoon goes to the driver of the Winnebago ("caravan" to my UK readers) who, upon entering Alligator Alley (that stretch of I-75 between Hollywood and Naples) decided that they had to get immediately (without delay, cutting off all the faster traffic) into the passing lane, doing 45 miles-per-hour. He very nearly had our car in the back bedroom of the mobile home!

All idiots aside, it was a nice drive. We got a bit of a downpour driving across the alley. It wasn't much of a storm, but there was some good lightning. We arrived in Weston around eight. My nephew's neighbors have been busy for the past few days. I do not believe that I have seen so many tacky Christmas displays in the space of one block before. My god! These are half-million dollar homes!

Not since I first visited Graceland (Elvis's residence south of Memphis, TN) have I seen such graphic proof that money cannot buy taste!

Tomorrow I fly home to Lakewood. The Weather channel tells me that it is cold, but nice out. I hope the flight is good.

I hope wherever you are today, you've had a great day!

Don Bergquist - 26 November 2006 - Weston, Florida

No comments: