Friday, December 24, 2004

Visions of Sugarplums?


My nephew was nestled snug on my couch
and Saga just lay there and didn't say "Ouch!"

The rush and worry is over. My family arrived last night at about 19:00 and we had a toast to the holiday season. (My thanks to the Publican at The King's Arms back in East Molesey for the recipe for mulled wine. It turned out great!) Everyone recounted their trips here, Mary and Corey came in from South Florida; Chip, Dad, and Eric drove in from Minnesota. Everyone arrived Safe and Sound!

Mary called from the concourse. She said that everyone was ribbing her about getting her heavy coat and sweatshirt on before she walked off the plane, but they quit chuckling when they stepped onto the jet way. Mary said that the temperature that they had been given was 2 Degrees (Fahrenheit - that's -16.666 to those of you on the metric system!) outside and she was, apparently, the only one that knew the jet way was not sealed and insulated. I hated to point this out to her, but according to the register of the actual ambient temperature (available by looking at the national weather service site on the web, which I happened to have up to check weather for my Dad and Brother who were driving) was -4 Fahrenheit (-20 Celsius). Pair that with directions that, living here, I would not have been able to follow to get to her hotel, it was just like most of my business trips to Canada!

My brother, Chip, drove here from Minnesota yesterday with his son, Eric and my dad. They made amazing time. I have made that trip a number of times, and he did start from Minneapolis. But when I leave at what I affectionately call "Butt-Ugly-Early O'clock," I generally arrive around seven. Chip called me from the lounge at his hotel while the 06:00 news was still on to tell me that they had just arrived. It is no wonder that my nephew saw Saga and thought: "Hmmm… She looks like a pillow!" Good thing that Saga is such a good sport!

Mary's friends, Barbara and Mickey made it out as well. So there will be eight for dinner at this evening. The menu is:
Starter:
Tomato Bisque
Mixed Greens with Balsamic Vinaigrette

Main Course:
Barbecued Brisket
Or
Lemon-Dill Salmon (I'm serving both because some of my guests do not eat red meat)

With:
Dauphinoise Potatoes
Steamed Mixed Vegetables with Pesto

I've also got a Plumb/Spice cake for desert.

Well, I guess I had better get cooking! Merry Christmas!

Have a great day!

Don Bergquist – Lakewood, Colorado – 24, December, 2004

No comments: