Sunday, December 26, 2004

Boxing Day

The day after Christmas, the Feast of St. Stephen, the first Christian martyr, is better known as Boxing Day. The term may come from the opening of church poor boxes that day; maybe from the earthenware boxes with which boy apprentices collected money at the doors of their masters' clients.

When I first heard of Boxing Day, on a business trip to Canada that kept me there over the holidays, I had no idea what the heck they were talking about. It still, even now that I know what it is, conjures up images of Mohammed Ali and George Forman… I used to think that it was called Boxing Day because you gave your relatives boxes to take their gifts home in. I guess I was wrong.

My family and I had a wonderful Christmas. I hope you did as well!

I am having a party this afternoon so that my friends from Denver can meet my family from all over the country. I will, therefore, have to make this a short entry. (Mercifully short, some of you may be thinking after yesterday's missive.) Well, I am off to the supermarket to get the food for the party.

Have a great day!

Don Bergquist – Lakewood, Colorado – 26, December, 2004

No comments: