Wednesday, December 08, 2004


At the restaurant this morning eating breakfast I finally worked up the nerve to open the packet of Marmite that came with my toast. My friend at the pub had said that Marmite was “an acquired taste.” My question is “Why would anyone want to acquire a taste for it?”

It does have an unusual smell that is not at all identifiable. It doesn’t really smell like yeast or anything. It just smells… strange. (I know, I know! “Lutefisk!”) But to be fair, I guess that I should say that the only identifiable taste to Marmite is that of Salt.

I have long said that there is no implicit meaning to the phrase “too much salt.” Heck, I salt my bacon. (If there is nobody looking I do.) But that was clearly before I tasted Marmite.

So having tried it a couple times I can say that I guess if I spread it thinly enough it might be okay. I just wish it didn’t Look so horribly sludge-like. Here are a few notes from the official Marmite website:

1) Marmite is good for you. (It is high in B-vitamins and low in fat.)
2) Marmite is easy to store. (An open jar has a shelf life of 18 months. – Due to the salt content perhaps?)
3) Marmite is good on Toast.

Well, I’ll have to give it another shot and try and acquire a taste for it. If nothing else, I’ll put a little on my eggs tomorrow in lieu of salt.

Have a great day!

Don Bergquist - Thames Ditton, United Kingdom – 08, December, 2004

No comments: