Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Marmite


Yes, Marmite Yeast Extract, doesn’t the name just make you want to run out and try it? If not… then the appearance will. It is a black sludge that comes out of the jar looking like used axle grease. As if that were not bad enough, it tastes like salted salt.

Now, being Scandinavian, I guess I should not really bake fun of other cultures’ cuisines, They can quickly enough throw Lutefisk back at me. Of course, once the Lutefisk starts flying I am going to be leaving!

I was in the pub the other night and the barmaid said that I had to try Marmite. I had heard from some friends back home in the states that it is similar to Vegemite. (It is, but only in the sense that they are both thoroughly disgusting foodstuffs. – I know, I promised, but really!) There is an Australian I know who assured me that Marmite was nothing like Vegemite. So I figured that being fair, I had tried Vegemite, I should at least try Marmite.

No comments: