Friday, December 03, 2004

All better now! - Writer's Block Cleared

Who knew that Thames Ditton was going to prove to be the night life capitol of the United Kingdom?

The hotel I am staying at is a little Bed and Breakfast above a pub. It is really quite a nice pub. I don't believe one person in the pub has yet to tell me that the president is a wanker. They have made it known that they personally believe so in much more discrete ways than just coming right out and stating flatly that George W. Bush is a wanker. Mostly they make the statement by asking a question.

"Do you believe that your president can be any more of a wanker?" is one of the sly ways they have of introducing the subject.

Last night after returning to the hotel, I did a bit of paperwork in my room and then popped downstairs for a beer and a quick bite. There was a group of guys watching soccer and one of the guys started in on explaining that it was football and that football in the states is not really football. When he asked if I watched football on television I had to admit that I didn’t, but not for the reason that he immediately suspected. When I finally admitted that although I had a television in every major room in my home but the sum total of the television I actually watched in a week was probably less than ten hours, he just shook his head.

It's not that I don't like television. The truth is that it is too much like taking work home with me. I work for a company that automates the broadcast industry. I turn on the television and the first thing I do is start analyzing whatever channel I am watching, determining what types of things they are doing, and what kind of equipment I would need to control to make the picture look like it does. I watch news (a very transition and effects intensive programming) on two-to-three stations a night and that is about it. I'd watch less, but I am a political and news junkie.

By the way, I hear that Tom Ridge (Homeland Security chief) resigned. Has anyone heard if there is a replacement? Also, any big news from home? We get very little US news over here for some reason.

Well, I'd best get this posted and then get to the office. I've got to get my mind back to working so I can get home. Santa may not be able to find me if I am still in the UK when Christmas rolls around!

Have a great day!

Don Bergquist - Thames Ditton, United Kingdom - 03 December, 2004

No comments: