Monday, August 15, 2011

Travelogue: Australia – Jetlag (Bigtime)


Whose bright idea was this anyway!?


Well, It seemed like a good idea at the time. My thinking was that I didn't want to spend all day on a plane just to board another as soon as I arrived at Heathrow; so, as long as I was here, it would be good to build some office time into the trip to get some of the work done that would have backed-up while I was on-site.

What is it that they say about best laid plans?

So, why am I up at two o'clock in the morning? Because my body is screaming at me that it is just after eleven and that no decent person is still abed at this hour of the day!

"Look," I say to my body, "it is still dark outside. It is the middle of the night. C'mon, let's go back to bed."

This sort of worked two hours ago when I tried it. It worked a lot less when I tried it again an hour later. But my body has learned this trick and isn't falling for it any longer. It is up for the day and will not be mollified. So I guess I will open my laptop and get some work done. I know that I am going to be absolutely beat when I get home from the office tonight. But what can I do – it is too late to take a sleeping pill and whoda thunk I'd have needed one when I finally gave up and fell over into bed last evening? I mean, I had just been up for about two days!

My armband, which somehow can sense when I am asleep, tells me that I did get about twenty minutes of sleep on the plane… I don't remember ever dropping off. I suppose I will take its word for it, and get some work done (make hay while the sun shines). It is going to be a long day!

Wherever you are this bright and early morning, I hope you're nestled, snug in your bed whilst pleasant dreams are dancing within your head.

Don Bergquist – 15 August 2011 – Maida Vale, Greater London, UK

No comments: