Friday, August 05, 2011

Travelogue: Australia – Be Careful What You Wish For!

Yesterday as I got into the car on the way to work, I told my colleague that "today's the day" and that I was going to get a view of a kangaroo. I really wish I had been a bit more specific. I did get a view of a kangaroo but unfortunately, it was kind-of like saying that I saw a deer on the interstate. Sadly, it was road kill.

But a week into the trip, it is going well, I am covering a lot of ground and accomplishing what I came here to do; the long days and flurry of activity have given me a lot of things to work on and I will be working a bit this weekend. But I will be having fun as well.

Yesterday the clients asked what the plan for the weekend was. My colleague had told me the name of the place we will be going today, but as the names of places – other than those I have heard of before like Sydney or Brisbane, or those that make sense because they are English words like Cairn or Alice Springs – still mystify me. Lost in a flood of names like Wollongong, Wagga Wagga, and Jerrabomberra, the name of the nature preserve just slipped away.

I've looked it up, though, and for you information, we're going to Tidbinbilla. It is supposed to be a beautiful place. Close enough to town to be accessible; it is apparently a neat little pocket of wilderness. I will let you know. I was told that if I do not see 'roos here, then it is time to get my optometrist on the phone.

I've been up for hours now, there was a bit of a fracas in the park that my room overlooks. It was at about closing time for the pubs in the area, I have to imagine it was someone in the cups on their way home. Ah well… more time to review my notes before I log off for the weekend. So, I guess I had best get this saved off, and head off for a bite of breakfast before my colleague comes to pick me up.

Wherever you are today, I hope that you will have a beautiful weekend!

Don Bergquist – 06 August 2011 – Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

No comments: