Monday, June 30, 2008

What a difference!

I have to say, I am so pleased with the recent upgrade to the insulation in the attic and the addition of the whole-house fan! Whereas it would have normally been roasting in the upstairs rooms and freezing in the downstairs (because I would boost the thermostat to compensate for the irregular heating properties of the two floors) it is now much more comfortable on both floors.

And with the tendency for the nights to be cool (it tends to get down to the high forties or low fifties), it is great sleeping with the windows open. I've found that if I leave the screen security door locked and the front door ajar at night when I head off to bed and the windows upstairs open, the house cools off nicely over night. I can then turn on the fan for an hour while getting ready for work and the house is full of fresh, chill air when I seal it to go to work.

The improved insulation means that the house is still comfortable when I get home after work. In the heat of the day this weekend, I think the air conditioning came on twice… but I cannot be sure. It never seemed hot enough for it to need to come on! I am so glad I did these two projects. I wish I had done them years ago!

Wherever you are today, I hope you're staying cool and having a great day!

Don Bergquist - June 30, 2008 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: