Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Twenty-Three Percent

During the 04:00 news this morning there was an interesting statistic quoted. Apparently, in a recent ABC News poll, the president's approval rating has dropped to an all-time low of 23%. According to the story 69% of those polled disapprove of the president's performance, while those 23% think he is doing just a cracking job.

I'm surprised! What high numbers!

No, not the 69% number; that number is believable from watching the news. Practically every night, we're told that the economy is in the toilet. No, it's the 23% that interests me. Who are these people?

Are they people like the idiot I saw on the news a few nights ago? I have no idea where they dredged this winner up. Standing in front of a gas pump (on the very day that gas price averages went over four dollars), filling his battered old pick-up the guy said "I don't understand why anyone is complaining about the economy. The economy doesn't affect me at all. I don't know anyone who is suffering."

While this person may be a complete hermit, and may have had millions of dollars stashed-away, or perhaps the truck and the pump were just props and he had not actually bought gas in the past few years, that seems somewhat unlikely. And even if it were true, there could not possibly be enough of that sort of person to explain the 23%.

I can only assume that either the sampling was skewed, or there are a hell of a lot of people working in the petroleum and military contracting industries. How else can you explain it?

Wherever you are, I hope that you will have an excellent day!

Don Bergquist - June 17, 2008 - Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: