Monday, February 11, 2008

That’s Just Rude!

Hey! Go ahead and assume that the fat gringo who is standing at the counter speaks no Spanish. It’s better, though, for you to assume (since there is not a word of English in the menu) that he does. Either way, it is probably not a good idea to stand there chatting with a coworker about him in unflattering terms. In the words of the immortal Thomas “Fats” Waller: “One never know, do one!”

Yeah, this happened to me this weekend. I was driving through a Mexican area of the town, a bunch of tacarías, chacinerías, and panaderías. I was driving along and saw a restaurant that I have been past for a while be never stopped into. I can see now why.

It was a nice enough, absolutely no ambiance, but the food was good. The service was…

Well, let’s put it this way, I may no longer be fluent in Spanish, but I am still fluent enough to know that I am being talked about. Especially when the people saying words like “Gordo” and “Gringo” are accompanied by furtive glances in my direction.

What could I do? What would you do? I ordered in Spanish asking for my order “para llevar” (to go) and then watched as I got the slightly shocked/slightly guilty reaction from the cashier. I, of course, watched as my meal was prepared. There is just no excuse for being rude, people!

Wherever you are today, I hope you are neither the perpetrator nor the target of rudeness today.

Don Bergquist – February 11, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: