Friday, February 01, 2008

Arrival

Whew! I have arrived in colorful Colorado. Emily’s cousin, Don and his Canaan Dog, Saga are my hosts for the next few days and then Cousin Don says he has a surprise for me. What a reception I had! There were treats and water available and, tired from all that travel, Saga even offered to let me share her space for a quick nap.

After my nap, I felt a lot better. Cousin Don and Saga took me exploring. They live in a valley in the Denver Piedmont at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. (Cousin Don explained that a piedmont is a flat place at the base of a mountain range. The word comes from Italian where it literally means “foot of the mountain.”)

The first place we explored was over across the street from their home. We went into a little park to have a nice walk. You can see the mountains from Saga’s park! She gets to walk in the park every day with Cousin Don and together they explore! At the lowest point in the valley is a small river called “Bear Creek” that flows down from the mountains and out into the piedmont where it joins with the Platte River.

The Colorado Flag is a big “C” on a background of white and blue stripes with a gold dot in the center of the “C.” According to Cousin Don, the stripes stand for the blue skies of Colorado (at the top), the blue of the lakes and rivers in Colorado (at the bottom) and the white of the snow-capped peaks of the Rockies (in the center). The big letter “C,” of course, stands for “Colorado.” And the big gold dot represents the sun. Colorado gets an average of three-hundred days of sunshine a year!

Well, Cousin Don has allowed me to write in his web log for the next few days while I am visiting so I’ll be telling you all the fun things that we are doing!

Bye for now!

Brownie – with Emily’s Cousin Don in Colorado

No comments: