Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Coyotes

I am thoroughly knackered today. For reasons I cannot explain, Saga insisted on telling me (all night long) that the coyotes that live in "her park" across the road were active last night. Just about every hour she would come into my room and sit there crying. The first couple times, I thought that maybe she needed to go out.

The third time, I didn't bother to get into my robe, I just walked over to the window listened. Yep! I had sussed-out the connection. Both the earlier trips outside the coyotes had been howling outside.

Perhaps there was some reason for canus latrans to be acting up last night but that is no reason for canus canaanus to deprive homo sapiens sapiens of his sleep, now is it? Had I been just a little more with-it last night, I would have come-up with the solution of just closing the bedroom door.

But she is right, the sound of the coyotes howling is eerie… she had a right to be disturbed by it I guess… or perhaps it was that something primal was stirring in her. Perhaps, like Buck in The Call of the Wild she is being drawn by something primal in her.

Granted, she is a Canaan Dog and not a St. Bernard, and she is unlikely to ever be conscripted as an Alaskan sled dog, though she can pull me off my feet if she really tries…

Wherever you are today, I hope that you've had a good night's sleep.

Don Bergquist – February 12, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

No comments: