Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Calm Before The Storm

After the winds of the past few days, and the snow of the days before, we've got a lovely day on tap for today. I've heard varying reports of the high hitting anywhere from the low fifties to the low sixties today.

The winds have calmed down a lot. Even last night while walking with Saga along the edge of the park it was a battle, was Saga pulling me harder than the winds were pushing me around? Tough to say.

This morning, the winds are calm, the skies are clear, the sunrise is going to be right on time, and the day should be just lovely. At least, that is, until I get to the office.

I am getting to the end of a big project that I have been working on for the last few weeks and want to double check my list and assure that I have, really, completed the testing. I think I have, but it is always better to double check than to miss something.

When I am sure that I have done, I need to consolidate my last six weeks into a concise testing report that tells everyone else on the project the results of the testing. Luckily, as I write a status report daily, it is simply a case of merging the 30 reports into one overall report and then update it with the current statuses of anything that has changed.

Still, today (and possibly tomorrow) will be rushed and harried at work. Plus, they are predicting the next front to move through some time today. It is supposed to dump 2"-4" of snow on the downtown area. Living in a valley against the front of the mountains, usually, you can double that figure for my area of town. (unless the storm comes up from the south… which this one isn't)

So, we're in the calm before the storm (weather-wise) and in the thick of it at the office. The only thing to do is to remain calm, and bring my laptop home tonight… Just in case!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you're call, cool, and have everything under control.

Don Bergquist – February 13, 2008 – Lakewood, Colorado, USA

Calm
From A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum

I'm calm,
I'm calm,
I'm perfectly calm,
I'm utterly under control.
I haven't a worry:
Where others would hurry I stroll.
I'm calm,
I'm cool,
A gibbering fool
Is something I never become.
When thunder is rumbling
And others are crumbling,
I hum.
Hm--hmmm--hmmmmm!!!!!
HMMMMM!!!!
H-M-M-M!!!!

I must think calm comforting things,
Butterfly wings,
Emerald rings,
Or a murmuring brook,
Murmuring, murmuring, murmuring...look,
I'm calm,
I'm calm,
I haven't a qualm,
I'm utterly under control.
Let nothing confuse me
Or faze me-- [yawn] --
Excuse me.
I'm calm.
Oh so calm.
Oh so--

I'm calm,
I'm calm,
I'm perfectly calm,
Indifferent to tensions and shocks.
Unruffled and ready,
My nerves are as steady
As rocks.
I'm calm, controlled,
So cool that I'm cold,
Aloofer than any giraffe.
When something's the matter,
Where others would shatter
I laugh. [Laughs hysterically]
I must breathe deep, ever so deep,
Think about sheep
Going to sleep,
Stop and count up to ten, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9...when
You need aplomb
And want to be calm
'Cause life is a horrible dream,
Just count up to ten
Very slowly, and then--

SCREAM!

No comments: