Friday, November 02, 2007

Robben Island

You would have to have a heart of stone not to be moved by a trip out to Robben Island. Sitting about seventeen miles off the coast from Cape Town, the island is the home of the prison that the South African government used to house political prisoners during the days of Apartheid.

I knew that when I came here, there is so much more to the history of this place, though! It was used as a leper colony, and a hospital for the insane. Basically, if you wanted to rid yourself of someone, you sent them to Robben Island. If the rough sees and the strong currents in the open water didn't get them, then the sharks would if they tried to escape.

Despite the history, I cannot help but be struck by the beauty of the place. With a colony of penguins and warrens of feral rabbits, this place is just lovely. The tour of the actual prison is conducted by former prisoners and the feeling of claustrophobia is strong even though I knew I would be leaving in a couple hours.

Wherever you are today, I hope that you are free and happy in your surroundings!

Don Bergquist – 02 November 2007 – Cape Town, South Africa.

No comments: