Saturday, November 10, 2007

Downer Moment

With the great time I've been having, what a strange notion that I would be down. This evening as we were sitting after dinner, having a drink and chatting of the things we had done and the things we were going to do, I had a really down moment.

It happened as my friends were making plans for the holidays. Who was hosting which dinners, where they were going on Boxing Day, etc. It suddenly occurred to me that the plans that were being made didn't include me. I'm going home. This is my last blast as a part of the group.

The dinners they are planning will be for them; the parties will not include invites for me. It made me sad to think that the next time I see these friends of mine will be months (or years) away after this month ends. Unless they come to the states on holiday or I return to the UK on business or on holiday, we will not be sharing a beer at the pub.

I guess that I am looking at this from the wrong angle, though. I had these same feelings when I left Tampa for Memphis, then again when I left Memphis for Denver. Heck, I had the same fears that my friends in Colorado would not remember me if I had the opportunity to move to London.

I guess that the thing to do is to remember the good times, hope that the pleasant memories are mutual and hope to see my friends again as soon as possible.

Wherever you are tonight, I hope you'll take a moment to think of the special friends you have in your life.

Don Bergquist – 10 November 2007 – Ballito, South Africa

No comments: