Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Anniversary

Three years ago today, I published my first blog entry. I'd never had a blog, never knew anyone that blogged, it was all a new thing to me. As I wrote in that first entry, it was a way for me to keep in touch with my family whilst I was traveling.

At the time, I'd been traveling for my company about fifteen years and had never had a need to communicate that wasn't more practicable via post cards, letters, email or phone, but this was different. Today is also the anniversary of my first trip to the United Kingdom. It was the first time that I had traveled to a country that was not on my own continent.

This broadening of my horizons meant that I would be taking more pictures than usual and that the cost of phoning home would be prohibitively expensive. That is why the blog started. I was trying to find a fast, easy, inexpensive way to write home. That is far from where it has ended. I have lots of people out there reading my blog and writing to me to tell me that they are enjoying it. I am thankful for each and every one of them and appreciate all the email I get. Thank you and keep it coming, guys!

That first trip, three years ago, was meant to be a six-week design trip that was meant to be one of three that I would take before my project assignment finished. Those of you reading my blog regularly know that it is far from where it ended. That assignment generated another and then another and as such, I have now been (for all intents and purposes) living in Thames Ditton for the past two years.

It has been a great time! I've met a lot of really cool people and have made a lot of really great friends. My recent holiday to South Africa is one of the side benefits of this whole chain of events that started three years ago.

To everybody who has become (or continued to be) a part of my life over the past three years, I cannot tell you how much you mean to me! When I return home to Denver, early next week, the blog will continue as a way to communicate to those of you I leave behind in what I think of as a second home, the United Kingdom.

Wherever you are today, I hope you take time to appreciate the wonderful people in your life.

Don Bergquist – 21 November 2007 – Hampton Court, Surrey, UK

No comments: