Friday, November 02, 2007

Panama Jack's

Last night was a blast! The restaurant is what my family refers to as "a Dad place." There is no way you can find this unless you're in the wrong part of town or are specifically looking for it. After a somewhat shaky start, the meal was excellent.

Okay, it was an assumption that I shouldn't have made, but I made it anyway. The menu clearly said that there was squid in the salad that I ordered; but of the four ingredients listed, it was the last. I was expecting (as it would have been in the states) a small amount of the squid, probably thrown in as a garnish. The truth of the matter was that the salad was a huge lump of squid with a few lettuce leaves, a tomato or two, a couple shrimp and a lump of the tuna and a handful of mussels.

I sent it back. I was apologetic and explained that it was entirely my fault. They were great, though. They made it again without the squid and it was excellent. Much more what I had expected. Everyone's main courses looked excellent. I had a lovely swordfish kebob and chips. There was beer, wine, conversation and a good time all-around.

After dinner, we went to the pub on the waterfront for a pint and then returned to the hotel for a nightcap. This morning, everyone is (I assume) sleeping in. I was up around seven for a walk around the wharfs. We're meeting this afternoon for lunch and then we're going to Robben Island for a tour this afternoon.

So far, our choice of itinerary seems to have been exceedingly well timed. We were out of Cape Town while it was hot and smoggy yesterday. Today, you cannot even see the top of Table Mountain as it is shrouded in cloud. I have no idea how I am going to spend the rest of the morning. Perhaps I'll go get a massage.

Wherever you are today, I hope nothing rubs you the wrong way!

Don Bergquist – 02 November 2007 – Cape Town, South Africa

No comments: