Saturday, November 17, 2007

Morning Solitude

What a brilliant start to the day! Even though I was up 'til about one, I found it impossible to sleep past six this morning. I lay in bed listening to the rainstorm for an hour or so and then decided that it was time to do something. Anything!

Not counting the travel day, Monday, we have only two days left. This vacation is rapidly coming to a close. I know hat we have been invited to a barbecue (or to be more exact: a braai) tomorrow. I have no idea what is planned for today.

At a break in the rain, about eight, I headed down to the rocky point near the bottom of the complex and sat watching the tide change. I stared-off into space occasionally registering the fact that there was a world behind me. This morning, the universe was just the waves and me. An occasional bird would enter my universe, spend a few minutes and then fly off to the real world.

Around half-ten my universe got positively crowded! A school of dolphin swam into my field of vision. They could not have been fifty-yards off the coast, headed south, romping and playing in the wake. At a guess I'd say that there were about fifteen or twenty of them. They were half-way to Chaka's Rock before I remembered that I had a camera with me.

When the rain returned with a vengeance about fifteen minutes later, I picked myself up and headed back to the flat. All-in-all, it was a very peaceful and serene way to spend a morning.

Wherever you are today, I hope that your day has time in it for peace and quiet!

Don Bergquist – 17 November 2007 – Ballito, South Africa

No comments: