Saturday, November 03, 2007

The Cape of Good Hope

Today we made the circuit of the peninsula that Cape Town sits on. We rented a car and headed out just after breakfast. Our first stop on the tour was Boulders Beach to see the penguin colony there.

It was amazing how close the penguins would come to the visitors. Even the dassies came up to you to explore what these bizarre creatures were that were invading their space. The dassies seemed especially interested in Angie's shoes. (She was wearing neon pink crocks with big rhinestone trim.) The beach was lovely! Of course, being that I was in the area of the Atlantic, I had to wet my feet in the water.

Moving on toward the south, our next stop was at Cape Point. From here, with one hand keeping on my hat and glasses, I looked south to see the warm Agulhas currents from the Indian Ocean meeting-up with the colder currents from the Atlantic. Granted, the actual join between the two oceans is some 150 miles to the east at Cape Agulhas, but this is more accessible and, so I am informed, more spectacular.

After a late, light lunch at the seafront on the Cape of Good Hope, we started back for Cape Town. Terry had been driving all day. I took my turn at the wheel somewhere south of town about 1/2 an hour from the hotel.

Overall, it was another wonderful day! I am really digging this vacation!

Wherever you are today, I hope that you're having a great day!

Don Bergquist – 03 November 2007 – Cape Town, South Africa

No comments: