Thursday, November 15, 2007

My god! It's Full Of Stars!

It is about three thirty and I am wide-awake. For some reason I cannot exactly put my finger on, I came awake about thirty minutes ago. Not being able to go to sleep again, I grabbed a glass of water and headed out to the verandah of my room to look out at the sky.

Immediately, the line from 2010 by Arthur C. Clark sprang to mind. David Bowman's last words broadcast to the Earth as he fell into the monolith were "My God! It's full of stars!"

Even with the layer of smoke clinging to the valley, the skies are clearer than I have seen since I was in Arizona for the first time years ago. The Milky Way is clearly visible running through the sky. The sounds of the night animals are the only company my thoughts and I have as we sit here, staring over the dark landscape. The world is at peace.

Wherever you are this morning, I hope you’re enjoying a quiet moment alone with your thoughts

Don Bergquist – 15 November 2007 – Isandlwana Lodge, Zululand, South Africa

No comments: