Saturday, January 06, 2007

Yule Blog: Epiphany

For those of you who have commented to me via email and in person on the pseudo-religious bent that my blog seems to have taken, it is not a big deal.

A couple years ago, I was working from home when a colleague of mine called me at home and asked me a question that had been asked by a local radio station as part of their holiday trivia contest.

"'Quick: Why Twelve Days of Christmas?'" she asked the moment I had answered and identified myself.

Without pause for thought, I responded: "It's twelve days from Christmas to Epiphany."

"What?" She asked perplexed.

"Sorry." I explained. "It's just my Catholic upbringing. The Feast of Epiphany is a holiday commemorating the arrival of the Magi in Bethlehem. It marks the ending of the Christmas Season on the Catholic calendar. At least, that is how I remember it from my Catechism classes."

"Don," she protested. "I was brought-up Catholic. I don't remember this stuff!"

"Er, Uh! Good head for trivia." I responded.

So, there it is; this, being the end of the Twelve Days of Christmas, It is time to take down the tree at The Villa and to put away all the green and gold. The Yule Blog ends today. The normal blog returns tomorrow.

I hope you have enjoyed following my adventures of the first Christmas I have spent abroad. If so, drop me a line or post a comment and let me know. If not…

Wherever you are today, I hope you're having an excellent day!

Don Bergquist - 06 January 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: