Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Winter!

After a long, rollercoaster fall, winter has arrived in the United Kingdom. I awoke to a strange change in the light filtering through the night window. The sodium-argon lamp in the street behind the house was not quite the same orange as I am used to it being. The light was slightly brighter and strange in a way that I couldn't quite put my finger on from bed.

I tossed back the duvet and noticed that the room was bracingly cold. So I dashed over to the window. The reason for the strangeness of the light was immediately apparent. It was snowing outside! It wasn't quite the crest of the moon on the new-fallen snow… The light from the streetlamp was reflecting on the frosting of snow in the back garden that was making it seem brighter outside.

I ran to grab my camera. How often do you get to see snow on palmettos after all? Damn and blast! My batteries were dead for BOTH the cameras I had at home and the spare camera battery for my compact camera was at the office in the charger! That is the problem with technology! It requires power!

Oh well! Too bad that winter here will last about six hours! The snow is due to be gone by the time I am home for lunch, the batteries at home for the camera will not be charged by then. I did snap this picture of the street in front of the office when I got in and got the charged battery from the office. The snow is not as thick as it looks, there was possibly an inch of frosting on the streets when I rode in, but that is enough to make Londoners uncomfortable.

They look on snow almost as warily as the people who live in Memphis. I remember when living there even the mention of snow meant that the Seesel's shelves would be denuded of Milk, bread and toilet paper. (Though what you can make with bread, milk and toilet paper is a wonder!) The traffic is light outside. I expect that absenteeism in London offices this morning will be relatively high!

I hope wherever you are, the weather is being kind to you!

Don Bergquist - 24 January 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: