Friday, January 12, 2007

Road Rash II

I want to make sure you're aware, it is not only hazard a cyclist in London (or anywhere, for that matter) needs to be aware of. Gravity is another of those hidden predators that can take their toll on the cyclist. Leaving the office last night, Gravity finally claimed its prize.

The car park that the Bike Shed is located in slopes downhill toward the river. The Bike Shed is located at the bottom of the lot just near the Thames. Generally, I downshift so as to put my bike in a low gear to allow me to more easily exit the car park.

Leaving last night I went to gain some momentum climbing the hill to exit the car park. My mistake was to stand-up in the stirrups to get more power. There, leaning over the handle bars to maximize the down-thrust, I suffered the upset. My derailleur skipped a cog and downshifted. The sudden release of all resistance (even though it was only for a moment) caused me to topple over forward; over the handle bars, through just over 180 degrees of arc to land on my shoulder. Luckily, the years of theatre taught me rules for not getting hurt when falling. I tucked, rolled and turned it into a pratfall.

Rolling to a supine position, my first thought was: "God! I'm glad nobody has a window at this level!" I brushed myself off and looked around the car park. I was alone in the gathering gloom of the evening. I congratulated myself on the fact that nobody ever need know about my fall.

This morning, there is no evidence of my tumble but a small patch of road rash on my elbow and a sore shoulder. I need never suffer the humiliation of people knowing that I can't ride a bicycle and stay on!

Of course, now I have told the whole world; at least that small percentage of the world who read English and have any desire to ever read my blog. It's too bad I do not have any video to post. I am sure it would have looked humorous. Perhaps there is footage: I have heard that there are enough Closed Circuit Television camera in the UK to catch the average pedestrian over 300 times a day!

I hope that wherever you are today, there is no camera there to catch your embarrassing moments! (And always wear your bicycle helmet!)

Don Bergquist - 12 January 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: