Friday, January 19, 2007

Stormy Weather!

Don't Know Why, There's No Sun Up In The Sky…

Stormy Weather!

By some reports, the weather yesterday would be categorized by the Saffir-Simpson scale as a category three hurricane. We had it all yesterday, sustained winds (at times) approaching 100 MPH, gusting to speeds in excess of 110 MPH. Rain varying from a light rain to a driving downpour.

Of course, these were linear winds, not cyclonic and the rain was incidental. Around lunchtime the rain ended but the winds persisted. The damage was similar to a hurricane as well.

There are trees and limbs down all over the village. The news is showing pictures of tiles and whole roofs that have been ripped off by the winds. Thousands of homes throughout the country are without power. Walls were blown over, train and road travel were interrupted. The M1 was closed because a lorry (a semi to those of us from The States) was tipped over while driving down the road.

I went for a bike ride at lunch (not realizing that the winds were as bad as they were). Having been through a hurricane (or a dozen) in my time, I soon realized that this had been a bad idea! But I had to run a couple errands and so, off I went. Even just heading to and from the house at lunchtime was a chore! Pictures on the news show people blown around as they walked down the streets in London; the weather turning the steel, stone and glass canyons of The City into wind tunnels.

The EuroStar between Paris and London was cancelled and a container ship in the channel was capsized by the winds. And it wasn't just London! All over Western Europe the picture was the same. Trains delayed or cancelled, airports closed, buildings and plants damaged or destroyed.

Today, they are calling for calmer winds, but I don't know! I awoke to the sound of wind howling down my chiminey. As I sit here at 05:00, I can still hear the winds screaming through the arbor in the back garden. I guess I should go get a shower and face the day!

I hope wherever you are, your day is filled with calm, blue skies!

Don Bergquist - 19 January 2007 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: