Sunday, October 01, 2006

Timing is Everything

This morning, I received proof of the old adage: "Timing is Everything."

The party last night, as judged by the time of m friends' departure (some time after midnight) and the number of bottles in the recycling bin (7 wine bottles and 18 beer bottles) and the entertainment value, was a smashing success! I know I had fun and I believe that my friends all had fun as well. I know that it was well after one before I trundled myself up the stairs to get to bed.

I awoke to the sound of thunder again around six and promptly rolled over and went back to sleep. When I awoke again an hour later I was ready to face the day. I bounded out of bed and finished cleaning the last of the evidence of last night's party out of the kitchen. As I was taking out the trash and the recycling bin, the rain slacked and came to a stop. It was cool, clear and sunny when I finished loading the dishwasher so I decided to make hay while the sun shone. I grabbed my bike and hit the road around 08:30 for my bike ride.

By the time I returned from the Surbiton - New Malden - Kingston - Richmond - Hampton - Hampton Court - Thames Ditton circuit, it was about a quarter-to-ten.

I got my bicycle into its berth under the stairs and unloaded the dishwasher. When I poured my first cup and turned to look out the window, it was pouring outside. I took my coffee upstairs and sat down to read. The classical music from my PC was accompanied by the sound of the rain spattering on the windows. It has now rained for most of the rest of the morning. If it gets nice later on, I may go for a ride into Kingston to do some shopping or to see a movie. If not, I'll be content to sit here reading the rest of the day.

It is a great feeling to know that at just after eleven in the morning my daily to-do list is clear. I have no pressing need to stir. I've accomplished the things I need to. As soon as I have posted this, I will have nothing planned for the rest of the day.

I hope wherever you are today your day is both productive and relaxing.

Don Bergquist - 01 October 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: