Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sometimes You Just Gotta Walk Away

I set myself three projects for the weekend. I can say that I have accomplished all three.

I had to complete my laundry, do some general tidying-up (I have a colleague from Australia staying at the house next week.) and I had to finish the spreadsheet I am working on.

The laundry, in this strange machine we have that is a combination washer-dryer, by which, I guess, the manufacture means it doesn't do either job well. The machine takes about four hours to run a load through and then you need to hang the clothing to dry. I started a load last night before going to bed and hung it this morning. I let a load run while doing housework and paperwork this morning. I started the last load and went for my ride. (One Down!)

I worked for a couple hours on the spreadsheet but decided I needed to clear my head. The company I work for has recently gone to a new timesheet system whereby there are a number of rules on how to report time. The basic outline is that each minute I spend at work has to be accounted for in one of eight categorizations. Two of them have limitations on them, no single day can go over 8 hours, the week cannot go over 40 hours, and one of these two categories is used for three different activities.

At 11:00 I got frustrated with trying to design the logic and left it. (I was, I now realize, almost at the solution to the problem but kept attacking up blind alleys.) I did a thorough cleaning of the kitchen and the lounge and started the dishwasher on my way out the door (Two Down!!)

I went for a lovely ride and, having brought my book and some water, when I got lost (literally) in Richmond park, I decided to sit on a bench on a low hill and watch the world go by and finish my book.

About sunset I headed out of the park via the closest exit and tried to find my way back to Kingston and try and eventually worked my way back home. I had my eureka morning about an hour ago. I believe I have sussed-out the logic. Time will tell. (Three Down!!!)

I am now sitting with a Gin and Tonic and putting a pleasant weekend to bed. I think I will read a bit and then heat up to bed.

I hope that wherever you are, you have had a lovely weekend!

Don Bergquist - 08 October 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: