Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Next Front

A friend of mine from the office offered to take me to the Wimbledon Marketplace. It was pretty cool. (It's very cool, indeed! I had to go and get my jacket from the house before we left.)

The market is pretty cool, pretty much like a flea market back home but there are nicer merchants missed-in with the standard junk sellers. The two outstanding things I want to describe are the food trailer. They served breakfast and lunch foods. We had bacon and egg rolls with onions while walking to the meat vendor.

He calls himself a meat action. He has legs of mutton, rolls of pork, hams (both fresh and smoked), sides of beef and all kinds of wonderful things hanging from hooks. In an auctioneer's patois he sells large lots of meat to the people standing around.

I bought some rib eye steaks and some sliced ham at a price that I have calculated as being about 30% less than I could have spent at a grocer's. I also stopped at the olive vendor and got some wonderful olives stuffed with garlic!

It started drizzling, and then seriously raining on the way home. Once we had dropped my purchases at the place that I am staying, went back to get my bicycle from The Villa, and then headed back during a break in the rain. The wind is so strong that I am sure that we are going to get rain all afternoon.

This must be the next front they were talking about on the weather this morning. I think it is going to be another perfect day for spending the rest of the day curled-up on the couch with my book.

I hope that wherever you are today you have the things you need to make you comfortable.

Don Bergquist - 22 October 2006 - West Molesey, Surrey, UK

No comments: