Saturday, October 07, 2006

Saturday Ride

It is as lovely today as it was bleak yesterday. I was up and out of bed early this morning. I have friends who chide me for not staying abed on the weekends. "Sleep-in" they say, "you deserve to take the rest."

I have never been one who could stay in bed in the mornings. My parents can attest to this fact. Mother used to say that I got her up early to go and deliver me and I hadn’t let her sleep in a morning since. The six-to-seven hours I get a night is plenty and there are lots of things that I would rather be doing than lying around.

This morning, as soon as it was light out I mowed the back garden. The grass was a bit wet for it but it really needed to be done. That done, I tidied up after a breakfast of eggs and toast. And hit the pavement. My goal was twenty miles. I need only a few extra miles today and tomorrow to bring my average for the week up to 15 miles per day. I went over the normal route, adding a few sidetracks here and there to boost the mileage.

Coming back from Richmond and over the Kingston Bridge across the Thames (about 10:00) the rowers were out in force. I had to stop for this picture Rowing was something that I have never tried. It looks like it might be fun.

From the Kingston Bridge I went around Bushy Park and down to Hampton. It was a lovely morning and I decided to take the ferry across the Thames down at Hampton and keep heading south along the tow path. What a great decision!

I live for mornings like this. My 20 miles behind me, I am going to grab a book and head up to this lovely little park in Kingston and sit under a tree and read for the day.

I hope that wherever you are this morning, you've had a pleasant one and your day continues to go well!

Don Bergquist - 07 October 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: