Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Jet Set

According to the online etymology site I use to research such things, the term "Jet Set" originated in the early fifties when jet planes were still quite new and was used to specifically refer to a small group of wealthy individuals who could afford to take impromptu trips to the hot exclusive resorts and chase hedonistic pursuits.

What an antiquated notion! In these days of cheap airfares to all the places I'm likely to want to go on a whim, means I have joined the jet set. Now, if only I were wealthy, I could afford to buy the hotel I stayed in last night and fire the staff at the front desk this morning!

My 05:15 wake-up call arrived at 04:15. My complaint that my 06:00 cab hadn't shown-up by 06:10 was made at 05:10 and was not corrected by the night auditor who checked me out of my room and called for a second cab to the train station. It wasn't until five minutes later when I was in the cab headed to the train station that I was informed that (though I had known the time was changing) the hotel staff was apparently unaware of the "Fall Back" time change. The cabbie asked me why I was out and about so early on a Sunday.

"You're an early riser." He said as he pulled away from the hotel.

"Yeah, I have an early flight this morning back to London." I replied thinking that it certainly is dark in Amsterdam at this (early, I'll grant) hour of the morning.

"So you're leaving early." He said with emphasis on the early that I nearly missed.

"Yeah. It is probably why I have the cheap fare. Who would want to fly at 08:30?"

"And they have trains this early?" he asked

"Yeah. I'm on the first train to Schiphol at 06:23." I responded, dreading what his next comment was likely to be, about to find out that I was right.

"So, you are of the notion that it is after six, yes?" said he rising one eyebrow as he looked at me in the rear-view mirror.

"Don't tell me that the night auditor didn't know about the change to standard time." I said, already knowing the answer.

"How stupid would that be?" He replied.

"Very stupid! Especially since he knew that I though after six."

"You're going to be an hour early for your train. Do you want to wait at the hotel?"

"Nah!" I replied. "We're half way there and I can wait on the platform as easily as I can wait anywhere else."

So, here I sit, on the platform at Zaandam train station, it is a bit chilly, and a bit windy, but nothing to warrant the parkas being worn by the street children who are in impressive numbers on the platform this morning. I'm reminded of the scene from The Long, Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (by Douglas Adams) where he talks about the homeless of London really being the Norse Gods... This lot, though there is nothing divine about them, could make an interesting pantheon.

Oh well, at least I am certain that I will not be late for my first train. And once I wrap this up, I can play a couple crossword puzzles before my train comes. I wish I spoke Dutch. I have no idea what the announcement is that is being made on the tannoy, but it must be important. It has been repeated at least three times in the past twenty minutes. And I have no idea what the loud and boisterous conversation going on over my left shoulder is, but it certainly seems to be amusing the kids who are having it!

I hope that wherever you are today, you are surrounded by people who remembered to set their clocks back and are not caught waiting for the world to catch-up with you.

Don Bergquist - 29 October 2006 - Zaandam, The Netherlands

No comments: