Thursday, October 05, 2006

Happy Birthday to my Baby Brother, Charles

Happy birthday, little brother!

Wow! I can hardly believe that you are turning [Age Redacted] today! I hope that you will get the chance to spend some quality time with your family and do something nice for yourself. It seems that only yesterday we were children, growing-up in Miami and having a great time.

My favorite story of growing-up with you is still the time you came up with that line that still makes me chuckle (some forty years later) at the mere thought of it. (I am sure you know the one, I crack-up each time I tell it.) You must admit that it said something about how horrible we were as children that Mom often preferred to leave us in the car (in Miami - in the summer) than deal with us in the Grand Union as she did the shopping.

But, ignoring the fact that we could be roasted alive in the car, we entertained ourselves with one of our favorite games: Who is that coming out of the store. Wherein we would create running commentary on what we thought each of the people coming out of the store did for a living. Out guesses were often bizarre and rarely entirely complimentary.

"That man is a bank robber." I would say.

"That woman is a lunch lady." You would guess.

"That man is a Spy."

"No, that lady is the spy, that man was a garbage man."

Often, our commentary would, as inane as it was, would send us into gales of laughter so loud as to attract the attention of the people we were commenting on. The line, that still makes me chuckle, is the one that you came up with that one day, which you used to win the game one day. (I had not known a game like that could be won!)

You waited 'til someone who looked really mean, and you screamed as loud as you could, "OH, MY GOD! THAT MAN'S A FREAK!" that would have been bad enough, but you then dived into the foot well leaving me standing there on the front seat of the car like a merekat surveying the prairie.

The man shot me a disapproving glare and you started busting out laughing. I have a huge smile on my face just thinking about it! Happy birthday, guy!

I hope that wherever you are you have something bring a smile to your face today!

Don Bergquist - 05 October 2006 - Thames Ditton, Surrey, UK

No comments: